22.11.09

Rendez-Vous au Consulat General de France

Before I get to the actual appointment at the French Consulate in Atlanta, I need to backtrack and mention the last little bit of chaos in "Stephanie's study abroad application process." About par for the course with the confusing CampusFrance form was the ambiguous visa checklist; I knew I needed "proof of enrollment" but since the website didn't state any specifics, assumed that my unofficial transcript would suffice. Wrong. My mom heard back from the API liason in Grenoble Wednesday morning that I needed a specific letter from USC to fulfill that requirement. Surprise! After my morning class and between studying for my microbiology test, I frantically went to the study abroad office to get said form but was told to go to the Bursar's office for it. Thinking that this would be another overly-complicated step in the process, I was getting stressed, but finally caught a break when they were able to print me out the appropriate letter in literally 5 minutes. Crisis averted! Since the hours of the Consulate are during the week when I'm in classes, I skipped my Thursday class (luckily only music appreciation) to drive down to the Consulate in Atlanta, which is obviously more convenient than the Embassy itself in Washington, D.C. We got down there pretty late Wednesday night and checked into the hotel after fog, rain, and confusing directions. Thursday was an early morning, since my appointment was at 9:20, so we got ready, ate breakfast, and went over the checklist for the millionth time. We had strategically placed our hotel close to the Consulate so we didn't have to contend with driving and parking and risk being late. We got to the Consulate, which ended up being just a ticket window in a waiting room of one room of one floor of a giant building. The man sitting outside, the hall monitor, if you will, immediately asked for my application and OFII forms. Well that threw me off because I didn't think I had to give him anything other than my appointment confirmation ticket and ID, but I started digging through my giant stack of papers and copies. He seemed pretty impatient and unfriendly at first, but eventually warmed up, at least enough to tell us that he has no desire to travel to France or a lot of the places he could fly for free because he "can't go fishing there." That, to me, is just unfathomable, but to each is own I suppose. I then had to wait my turn, which did allow me to talk to the other college-aged girls waiting for their appointments as well. There seemed to be a common excitement for the experience we all have to look forward to being immersed in French language and culture, and I was glad that they seem to appreciate the opportunity that they're getting as much as I do. The actual application process consisted of digging through the same giant stack of papers for all of the necessary forms, which made me wish I had organized them a little differently, and sticking them through a slot in the window. Then I was given back what they didn't need (some of which I know was written on the checklist, but whatever). Luckily, I seemed to have everything, including the $75 fee (thanks to my mom who frantically withdrew cash from an ATM in the building when I realized I had left my credit card in the hotel room), and, even though the actual application process was very formal and unfriendly, I was done in like 5 minutes and was sent away with a "we'll mail it when it's ready." Now, all there is to do is sit and wait. The whole experience was just odd and somewhat nerve-wracking (after all, I'm no Jason Bourne), but at least that should be all of the mandatory steps for the whole study abroad application process! :) I have to say, the whole process of applying with USC and API and the Consulate has been so crazy and stressful, but I have no doubt in my mind that it will be more than worth it. I'm starting to get nervous as it's getting more and more real, but now begins the "fun stuff" like packing and excursion-planning. Almost exactly 2 months until my flight lands in Paris!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment